Sunday, November 30, 2008

My First Raw Meal


Well, I created my first raw meal (following a recipe - mostly) - a celery root and apple "soup" mixed with black truffle and olive oils, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and coconut butter. It does taste better than it looks....however...

My blender is horrible! The raw food books said a good blender is key, and now I know they were not lying. My blender couldn't even touch the celery root - I had to juice it first in my juicer, and then try to blend the left over pulp and juice together - and the blender couldn't even handle that! So I ended up using a hand mixer, flinging stuff all over my kitchen, and ending up with mush instead of soup. But oh well, it is still edible...however....

Raw foods have incredible flavor, almost too much. The books said this, but I didn't really believe them on this point either. They said don't add a lot of extra seasoning like you have to with cooked foods. I added extra salt, pepper, coconut butter, and lemon "just in case". Every bite is like a little kick to the tongue!

I am happy though to have found a healthy way to "cook". I will definitely need a better blender....and will have to rethink how I season...but I think this won't be so bad. One raw meal a day for now.

Love,
Terri

No comments: