Thursday, December 11, 2008

RAW "Spaghetti"



I got a fancy blender and a fancy spiral slicer - and both turn out to be worth every penny. :-) At least my first impressions are good. I made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight. The spaghetti is actually zucchini and squash, spiraled nicely and with very little effort in my new slicer. The marinara sauce is pretty much the same (tomatoes, basil, bell pepper, olive oil, garlic, etc) - only not cooked. And the meatballs are walnuts, garlic, olive oil, etc chopped and meshed together. That is spaghetti raw - and I like it!

I was surprised at how fast it was to make. I didn't time myself - but it seemed like I was just getting started when the meal was ready. It's weird. It's like you are prepping everything to cook - but instead of cooking it, you eat it. :-) When I get better at it - this meal will probably be faster to make than bringing water to boil to make real pasta. That makes me happy because I envisioned going raw as having to slave over a blender all day long. I am sure some recipes will be involved - but this one was quick and easy.

I still need to learn how to season - or not to season. The flavor is too much. I am use to how things taste cooked. The same food raw has such a different flavor and texture.... And I am full. It almost feels like I ate real pasta. Yeah for raw spaghetti!!

Afterwards, I tried ice cream again (made from dates, almonds, water, agave nectar to sweeten, and a little vanilla). I was hoping I could blend it to get ice cream-ish feel, but this recipe is really for an ice cream maker - which I will probably buy - at some point. :-) My blender is excellent for making green smoothies though - hopefully I will get to make that this weekend.

I am happy I am liking raw food so far. Being full and satisfied after eating vegetables?? Who knew. I suppose the walnuts in the "meatballs" helps with the fullness. But still - I was expecting to have to grab something else after dinner... :-)

Score one for raw.

Terri

No comments: